Chicago Dog Sandwich
Chef Hoogeboom’s ode to the Windy City is a sandwich based on the classic Chicago hot dog. He starts with our frozen Kaiser roll dough, adding his own touch with a cheese-filled center. Once the bread has thoroughly baked, he piles it high with shaved roast beef and ham, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, seasoned and diced onions, banana peppers, and relish. It reminds us of the fan favorite straight out of Wrigley Field!
- Gonnella frozen kaiser roll dough
- ½ c flour
- 1 c shredded cheese
- 1 head of lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 1 white onion
- 1-2 tbsp celery seed
- 1/4 c relish
- 1/4 c banana peppers
- 4 slices shaved ham
- 4 slices shaved roast beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to form pancake and layer with a handful of shredded cheese. Fold in the edges to form a ball. Smooth ball in one palm, using the other palm to knead. Set aside and allow dough to rise.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, bake at 350 degrees until it reaches an internal temperature of 190 degrees. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Prep your sandwich toppings. Slice tomatoes, chop lettuce, and dice onion. Mix the diced onion with 1-2 tbsp of celery seed, salt, and pepper.
- After bun has cooled, slice open and begin to layer on the ham and roast beef.
- Finish topping the meat layer with onion mixture, lettuce, tomato, relish and banana peppers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add another layer of onion mixture, and top with bun.